It is the time of year when you start making plans for next year. It could be that you have already done this. Let me ask you this, ‘what is your plan for your personal growth?’ Do you have your personal development plan for 2023 in place? Growth is not automatic. To grow you have to be intentional. I love watching my grandson play and rediscovering the world through his eyes. Everything is learning for him; he is gaining new skills almost daily. Where is it that you need to grow in 2023? What is your plan because it won’t happen by accident.
“Accept responsibility for your life. Know that it is you who will get you where you want to go, no one else.” – Les Brown
The greatest investment you can make at the end of 2022 is in you. What do you want to see happen in 2023? There are plenty of excuses you can make as reasons why things didn’t happen, personal growth though is a decision you make. Your growth is your responsibility. It is only your own limiting beliefs which prevent you from getting there. Where is there? Let me challenge you now to think clearly and write down what you want to achieve. It may only be a small step, but it can have a big impact.
What is it you are dreaming about? Who do you need to be to see that dream become a reality? As a coach I help leaders, business owners, and team members clarify where they want to be, then help them through powerful questions and active listening to create the roadmap to get there.
Creating your Personal Development Plan
To grow you need to work out where you need to grow. What areas do you want to focus on in 2023?
As leaders there are certain areas you must focus on in order to increase your influence.
Here are five steps you can take to intentionally grow in 2023:
1. What will you read, listen to, and watch in 2023? For this to be meaningful I would think about the areas you want to learn about. There are so many resources out there which make being clear about what you want to learn crucial. It could be how to present better, or something around personal fitness or mental wellbeing. Ask those you respect as leaders what they are reading or listening to.
2. How can you enhance your professional competency? In terms of coaching, I have found the material and learning I went through at Maxwell Leadership was really good and gave me a great grounding in how to coach well. However, it isn’t an internationally recognised accreditation – good as it was. As a result, I am working hard towards my International Coaching Federation qualification. It’s important to show those I coach that I am prepared to get qualified. What is your next level? Yours will be different, do keep stretching yourself to see how far you can go.
3. Spend time developing your communication skills. Figure out what your communication is like for those around you. Be prepared to ask for feedback, some of which you may not want to hear but keep your eye on the goal. Better communication will only increase your ability to lead well. If those you lead don’t understand you then misunderstanding and confusion will be the result.
4. Who will you spend time with? There will be others ahead of you in your leadership journey. Spending time with them will give you insight into what they have learnt and you can benefit from their wisdom – hopefully avoiding some of the mistakes they made. In my experience most good leaders are happy to spend time with those coming up behind them.
5. What about your own mental wellbeing? What are those things you do which give you energy? Those that recharge you? If you are going to lead well in 2023 you need to be the best version of yourself. Whatever it is, spending time with family and friends, going on holidays, reading – make sure you do it.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
As you think about your growth don’t let your limiting beliefs get in your way. If you want to deal with them then book an exploratory call to see how I can help you move beyond them and fulfil your potential.
Have a great Christmas, and a prosperous 2023.