In a different culture there are differing attitudes towards safety. In my recent visit to India I wondered whether the wearing of helmets on motorbikes had got any better. On the whole it had but it was interesting to see those who were riding around with their helmet between their knees or hanging on their handlebars. The helmet looked great but it wasn’t fulfilling its purpose to protect the rider’s head in the event of an accident. In the same way it is crucial to the success of leaders and for their engagement that they are working in their purpose.
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
Successful leaders and engaged employees have discovered their why and are working in a place which aligns with their purpose. Knowing your purpose and working in something that reflects it makes a massive difference to your productivity.
5 Reasons to Know Your Purpose
There are more than 5 reasons you need to discover and align with your purpose so feel free to message me with yours. Here are 5 for you to chew on:
1. Knowing your purpose brings resilience – when you are in the place aligned with your purpose you will stay the course when the things get choppy. Your purpose or calling keeps you steady just like the keel on a boat brings the stability it needs to navigate the ocean conditions.
2. Your purpose usually lies within your passion – do you know what you are passionate about. My passion lies in everyone being seen and heard within teams. People are amazing if we make space to hear them. What are the things that you get on your soapbox about, what issues are you always talking about given the chance? When you have passion your energy goes up. This energy fuels your purpose.
3. Knowing your purpose through understanding your strengths – when you are at school you have to do everything. There will be some things you find a lot easier than others. This and other things you have tried in your life are, when you have found them, indicators of your strengths. Getting to your purpose lies in the path of your strengths. Focus on your strengths, understand what you are gifted in and become as good as you can be.
4. When vision and purpose align you cannot help but be evangelical about the vision – those you lead will know when you are not convinced about what you are saying. To lead well means you believe in and align with the vision. You cast it with conviction. Knowing your purpose means when you resonate with the vision the passion level and therefore your energy will rise. It will flow out of you naturally.
5. Your purpose will be realised by what you do daily, your habits – what do you do every day that builds towards the fulfilment of your calling and purpose? Habits become second nature when we do them enough times. What you do today determines your future. Making good decisions and being the kind of person who adds value daily all sow seeds that you will reap later. Your purpose and calling work themselves out through what you do daily. Make what you do today count.
Discovering Your Purpose
The energy and passion you release working inside your purpose is unbelievable. You may be asking how can I do this? Smart Culture offers a 4 session coaching package S.M.A.R.T. Purpose email me at email@example.com for an exploratory chat on how you can get clarity on your purpose.